Taras Dyatlik was born into a Baptist family in the western Ukrainian city of Rivne. Raised during the Soviet period, he helped his father with an underground Christian publishing ministry as a child. He received Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior when he was 17 years old and graduated from Donetsk Christian University (DCU) in 1997. Taras has served at DCU and other Ukrainian universities and colleges in various roles, including Academic Dean, Professor, Librarian and Teaching Assistant among others. He earned the Master of Theology from the Evangelical Theological Faculty in Leuven, Belgium. Taras most recently served as Coordinator of the Slavic Research and Resource Center at the Euro-Asian Accrediting Association (EAAA). He continues serving there as Educational Development Coordinator while also involved in ministry at the Rock Church of Rivne as a preacher and Bible teacher. Taras and his wife, Natasha, live in Rivne with their daughter, Tanya, and their son, Nazar. Taras joined Overseas Council in 2011 as the Regional Director for Eurasia, serving our partners in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and Moldova.
Academic interests: New Testament Greek, New Testament Exegesis, New Testament Textual Criticism, New Testament Theology, Existential Theology, Early Church Fathers, Homiletics, Educational Philosophy
- 2002-2005 » Master of Theology and Religious Studies (magna cum laude) from the Evangelische Theologische Faculteit (Leuven, Belgium). Thesis: “The phenomenon of conflation in the textual witnesses of the New Testament: a tentative search for conflation in the Epistle to Galatians” (part of the research project at the ETF) under supervision of Prof. Dr. Gie Vleugels.
- 1994-1997 » Bachelor of Theology from Donetsk Christian University (Donetsk, Ukraine). Diploma paper: “The importance of using New Testament Greek in church ministry.”
Skills: educational project management, curriculum development, educational standards for theology development, accreditation visits, assessment methodologies, educational and organizational strategy development, program development, faculty development, leadership development, speaking, presentation, and online communication skills
- 2016-present » A member of the Commission of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine for recognition of higher education diplomas issued by higher religious educational institutions.
- 2012-present » a member of the Board of the International Council for Evangelical Theological Education.
- 2012-present » a member of the Public Council of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine.
- 2011-present » Regional Director for Eastern Europe and Central Asia at Overseas Council International.
- 2016-2019 » A member of the Subcommittee (041) for developing the standards for theology of Scientific-Methodological Commissions of Higher Education Scientific and Methodological Council of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine
- 2016-2017 » a Chair of the International Council for Evangelical Theological Education.
- 2011-2019 » Director of Educational Development at Euro-Asian Accrediting Association of Evangelical Schools.
- 2008-2011 » Director of Slavic Research and Resource Center of Euro-Asian Accrediting Association of Evangelical Schools.
- 2006-2008 » Academic Dean at Donetsk Christian University.
- 2005-2009 » Associate professor of New Testament at Donetsk Christian University.
- 1998-2002 » Chief librarian at Donetsk Christian University. Teaching assistant (Old Testament Introduction, History of Missions, New Testament Greek, Homiletics). Member of the editorial board of DCU’s journal “Dialog”. Coordinator of DCU’s satellite program “Basics of Theology and Missions” in Mariupol (Ukraine).
- 1997-1998 » Academic dean at Rivne Regional Bible College (Rivne, Ukraine). Teacher of Comparative Theology and Old Testament Introduction. Member of the editorial board of “Svychnyk” (a magazine of Rivne Regional Union of Baptist Churches).
- 1990-1994 » Pressman at the Printing House “Format Antique” in Rivne, Ukraine.
- Дятлик Т. М. Служитель церкви і властолюбство. Конференція «Релігія після тоталітаризму» : онлайн (12 грудня 2020 р.)
Skills: preaching, Bible study groups, counseling, church administration, Sunday school
- Preacher at the Skelya Church (Rivne, Ukraine).
- Dnepropetrovsk Study Center of Lviv Theological Seminary (Ukraine)
- IFES-Ukraine Annual Institute (Ukraine)
- International Baptist Bible College (Rivne, Ukraine)
- Kharkiv Center of Christian Education (Ukraine)
- Kuban Evangelical Christian University (Krasnodar, Russia)
- Lviv Theological Seminary (Ukraine)
- North-Caucasian Bible Institute (Prokhladny, Russian Federation)
- Odessa Theological Seminary (Ukraine)
- Rivne Regional Bible College (Ukraine)
- Slavic Theological Seminary (Mukilteo, WA)
- Slavic University of Washington (Renton, WA)
- Ukrainian Evangelical Seminary (Vinnitza, Ukraine)
- Ukrainian Evangelical Theological Seminary (Kiev, Ukraine)
- Vinnitza Regional Bible College (Vinnitza, Ukraine)
- Yakutsk Bible School (Russian Federation)
Participation in Projects (not complete yet)
- 2015-present » Vital Sustainability Initiative of theological educational institutions (a qualitative research with ScholarLeader & Overseas Council)
- 2011-present » “The Theoretical Foundations of Ukrainian Evangelical Theological Education: the historical, cultural, educational and ecclesiological premises that directed its development from 1989 through 2012″ (doctoral dissertation, not finished yet)
- 2010-2016 » Project manager of the Slavic Bible Commentary. The initiator of the SBC is the Euro-Asian Accrediting Association (http://e-aaa.info). The Editor in Chief of the SBC is the President of the EAAA, Sergey Sannikov.
- 2005-2007 » Performing a qualitative research “What Expectations Do Pastors of Local Churches in the former Soviet Union Have of Higher Theological Education at the Beginning of the 21st Century?” During the course of this research, interviews were conducted with seventy pastors of local evangelical churches in five distinct parts of the former Soviet Union: Western Ukraine, Southern Ukraine, Eastern Ukraine, Southern Russia and Yakutia (Russia).
- 2004-2005 » Participating in a project “The Greek New Testament with 7471 textual notes, containing the collation of the four major recensions” (http://bibles.org.uk/gnt.pdf). Published under the same title by “Format Antique” (Rivne, Ukraine).
- Ukrainian: mother tongue
- Russian: writing, reading and speaking
- English: writing, reading and speaking
- NT Greek: reading
Papers read (not complete yet)
- 2011 » “Clarifying Expectations of the Church from the Seminary“ \ Sammit of six Ukrainian Evangelical Denominations “20 Years of Evangelism: Achievements and Failures” (Polyana, Zakarpatye, Ukraine)
- 2010 » “What Expectations Do Pastors of Local Churches in the former Soviet Union Have of Higher Theological Education at the Beginning of the 21st Century?” \ Doctoral Colloquium at the Evangelische Theologische Faculteit (Leuven, Belgium)
- ____ “Clarifying Expectations of the Church from the Seminary” \ Overseas Council Institute for Excellence (Kiev, Ukraine)
- 2009 » “Worldview: the Lost Dimension of Theological Education in the former Soviet Union” \ Overseas Council Institute for Excellence (Minsk, Belarus)
- ____ “The Phenomenon of Conflation in the Textual Witnesses of the Epistle to Romans” \ Doctoral Colloquium at the Evangelische Theologische Faculteit (Leuven, Belgium)
- ____ “What Expectations Do Pastors of Local Churches in the former Soviet Union Have of Higher Theological Education at the Beginning of the 21st Century?” \ A closed conference of the leadership of the 10 theological seminaries and 2 Christian universities with the leadership representatives of the Ukrainian Baptist Union (Kiev, Ukraine).
- ____ “Textual Analysis of 1John 5:18: protects him or protects himself?” \ 2nd Colloquium of the Colloquium Publishing House (Cherkassy, Ukraine)
- 2008 » “The Phenomenon of Conflation in the Textual Witnesses of the Epistle to Galatians” \ Doctoral Colloquium at the Evangelische Theologische Faculteit (Leuven, Belgium)
- 2007 » “Autonomy as a Path to Agony: a Possible Response of Evangelical Churches to Theological Schools” \ 1st Ukrainian Baptist Symposium “Are Baptists Autonomous? Relationships of Local Churches and Church Unions” (Kiev, Ukraine)
- ____ “Theological Education as an Organic Part of Worship: Biblical Foundations” \ 2nd Theological Forum “Theology in Worship” (Kiev, Ukraine)
- ____ “Agony of Theological Education in the former Soviet Union” \ 8th EAAA Conference (Irpen, Ukraine)
- 2005 » “Textual Analysis of 1John 5:7-8, ‘Comma Johanneum‘” \ Theological Seminar at Donetsk Christian University (Donetsk, Ukraine)
Translations from English into Russian (not complete yet)
- 2009 » Charles Stanley, RELYING ON THE HOLY SPIRIT
- 2008 » David M. Levi, WHAT EVERY JEWISH PERSON SHOULD ASK
- ____ William H. Brackney, AN HISTORICAL THEOLOGIAN LOOKS ANEW AT AUTONOMY (an article)
- 2007 » Perry W. H. Shaw, TRAINING TO FAILURE, TRAINING TO SUCCESS: THE HIDDEN CURRICULUM OF SEMINARY EDUCATION (an article)
- 2003 » Donald M. Fairbairn, EASTERN ORTHODOXY THROUGH WESTERN EYES
- 1999 » David A. Black, USING NEW TESTAMENT GREEK IN MINISTRY
Publications (not compete yet)
- “The Conflation In The Epistle to Galatians 4:7”. Гілея 134/7 (2018): 216-220. Print.
- “Meтодологія дослідження конфляції у Посланні до Галатів”. Схід 3/155 (2018): 72-75. Print
- “Уверенность в спасении: текстологическое сравнение концепций евангельского христианства и православия”. Науковий вісник Національного університету біоресурсів і природокористування України 280 (2018): 147-159. (http://journals.nubip.edu.ua/index.php/Gumanitarni/issue/view/429)
- “The value of biblical Greek in theology and exegesis of Martin Luther”. Гілея 133/6 (2018): 174-178. Print.
- “Богословско-экзегетический анализ темы суда в Вечере Господней”. Практична філософія 68 (2018): 103-110. Print.
- “Expectativas Para a Educação Teológica Na Antiga União Soviética.” A Igreja Do Futuro. Ed. Manfred W. Kohl and Antonio Carlos Barro. Londrina: Descoberta Editora, 2011. 191-225. Print.
- Other contributors: Jürgen Moltmann, Bill Fillebrown, Peter Brierley, David E. Ramírez, Riad Kassis, Wilson W. Chow, Bill Houston, Stuart M. Brooking, Jonathan Menezes.
- “Non-Theological Reflections on Ecclesiastes 7.16-17.” Svychnkyk 1 (2011): 12-13. Print.
- “God the Father.” Svychnkyk 3 (2010): 4-5. Print.
- “Does He Who Has Been Born of God τηρει εαυτον or τηρει αυτον?” Theological Reflections 11 (2010): 20-29. Print.
- “Fasting in the Old Testament.” Svychnkyk 1 (2010): 4-5. Print.
- “What Expectations Do Pastors and Local Churches in the Former Soviet Union Have of Higher Theological Education at the Beginning of the 21st Century?” Theological Reflections 10 (2009): 97-119. Print.
- “Israel, Humanity and God the Son in the Fullness of Time.” Svychnkyk 4 (2009): 4-5. Print.
- “The Desire for Autonomy as a Possible Path to Agony: the Question of the Relationship between Local Congregations and Theological Institutions.” The Local Church Autonomy: First Symposium on Baptist Ecclesiology (6-7 December, Kiev) (Odessa: EAAA, 2009).
- “Change as the Core of Education.” Dialogue 1 (2001): 9. Print.
Editor of (not complete yet)
- November 2008 » Collected Papers of “The Second Theological Forum of Evangelical Theological Schools” (Kiev, Ukraine)
- November 2006 » Collected Papers of the Conference “Christianity and Politics” (Donetsk, Ukraine)